Moving up: Lady Trojans look to compete in Gabilan

She shoots, she scores. Sophomore Karely Apodaca makes a free throw against the Seaside Spartans. A game that went in favor of the Trojans 59-43.

No accomplishments go unnoticed, and for the Girls’ Basketball program that means moving up from the Pacific to the Gabilan Division of the Monterey Bay League after being crowned League Champions for the Pacific League last season.

For second year Head Coach, Robert J. Gomez, it is an accomplishment he is proud of, “It will be a challenge for us but we will be ready for it.”  The Lady Trojans have seven returners this year with five being their starting line. The starters are seniors Lydia Garcia, Cassandra Benavidez, and Evelyn Macias; junior Josephine Cruz, and sophomore Karely Apodaca. Macias is glad to be back, “ Although we will face tougher teams, we will get better with each game.” The team is fairly young since 3 of its 12 players are underclassmen with 6 of the 12 players being first time varsity players. “With younger players I get to coach them longer and teach them what they’ll need to know to become great players” says Gomez. The newcomers are senior Karen Godoy, juniors Alondra Escobar, Giselle Ruiz, Jasmine Jimenez, sophomore Destiny Plascencia, and freshman Natalia Acuna.   

The preseason has been a mixed bag, with the team going 4-8 through twelve games, which is better than last year’s 2-10 start. According to Gomez, the Lady Trojans need to improve their defense and communication. However, the Lady Trojans are working on improving their weaknesses and refining their strengths, shooting and offense. Acuna noticed this problem saying, “Our offense and shooting is good, but the lack of communication is what is holding us back.”

Gomez has high hopes for the team, “I know we will place top three in league.” Who stands in their way? That would be Monte Vista Christian and North Salinas. These are the two stronger teams in the league. They will most likely be the frontrunners but if we play them at home I believe we have a shot.”

The team will need some help to achieve that goal, especially after starting league 0-4.