Write on

Write+on

For some people, writing feels like an obligation, a duty. For others writing is a passion born within or developed throughout life. The writing club’s primary purpose is to give students a voice in writing and a sense of expression through it.

Junior English teacher and club advisor Natalie Bernasconi, started the club in February of this year to help win the district’s poetry slam trophy back for Alisal. “I knew that if students could get support through a writing club, their writing would get good enough to bring that trophy home,” she said. The poetry slam, or Evening of the Spoken Word, is a competition held twice a year, in October and April, between all the public schools. Alisal has won the trophy several times, but lately, Salinas High has been dominant.

In April, the only one who performed for Alisal in the Evening of the Spoken Word was Teresa Silvas, with the help of Bernasconi and Marcos Vargas, an Alisal alum and English major, they were able to construct a perfect poem. Bernasconi stated, “It’s our goal to have all club members ready to present at next October’s ‘Evening of the Spoken Word’.” Although she is the advisor for many clubs, she only sponsors the ones that energize her: “I truly believe the students are strong and with good leaders they will accomplish wonders.”

Not everyone joined to perform. “I joined the writing club because I wanted to try something new; as a bonus, it is helping me with my writing skills,” said Gloria Bravo. “Along with the club helping me academically, it also makes me feel happy because it’s something I enjoy doing.”

Bernasconi encourages the students to find their voice and write about what makes them happy. She gives each student a journal so they could start to put their thoughts on paper, and only if they feel comfortable enough to share their ideas and works they are able to do so. Her purpose behind giving each student a journal: “I thought some students might enjoy having a dedicated space in which to capture their words from one week to another.”

Club meetings are every Friday during lunch in room 1009. Recently, while Bernasconi was out, she left Vargas in charge.  Although he only went a few times when Bernasconi was there, he has done a great job in maintaining the club together. Vargas said, “Lately, I have been holding the club. At first I would just go and listen, maybe take a few notes, but now I’m also the advisor. I tell them about a few writers that have similar writing to them.” He runs the club at every meeting and keeps the students on task. The students have a variety of choices to pick such as poetry fiction essay, spoken word or diary entries in response to the prompt. “Working with Vargas is good because he helps us and gives us ideas to improve our writing. He also introduced us to different types of literature,” Piña said. All students want to become better writers and many feel that the support and encouragement they get from other members will help strengthen their writing.

The club consists of four officers: President Teresa Silvas, Vice-President Erika Piña, Treasurer Liliana Constantino, and Secretary Melissa Chavez. Since mostly the members give each other feedback, with the guidance of Bernasconi, the club feels more like a team. “By sharing our work with the other students and getting feedback in return, I am able to organize my writing better and develop it more efficiently,” said Silvas. Having the students evaluate each other’s pieces helps each individual fix their writing and get into more detail, if necessary. Constantino has noticed a difference in her writing, “With guidance and support, I am able to write poetry with more thought and find it easier to develop it.”

While the focus is to prepare for the Evening of the Spoken Word, the club has a broader purpose. “Research has shown that there are cognitive and mental health benefits to writing. I want students to be empowered to become active writers and harness those benefits,” said Bernasconi. “We hope to continue to grow our club next year and helped strengthen all aspiring writers here at Alisal High to find the power of their voices, both in written and in spoken form.”