One Last Dance

Photo grid posted on AHS Boosters on Facebook. This was 2014’s Sober Grad Night put on by Prisca Segovia.

Graduation is a special day that seniors will remember for the rest of their lives. Sober grad is the event that wraps up this special day. This year, Alisal High, like the rest of the high schools, will hold their graduation celebration on May 26th.

Sober Grad is put on by the Alisal High’s Booster Club, a club that was founded three years ago, with the event put on with the purpose to celebrate the end of high school. “The first project we decided to take on was Sober Grad and I decided to chair the event because I had a senior graduating that year. I wanted it to be special for the whole class,” said Prisca Segovia, a member of the Booster Club. The event is held from 8pm to 5am, after seniors have the opportunity to celebrate with dinner with all their family members. The event works as a final reunion before the seniors head out their separate ways which includes several activities, raffles, and goodies.  

Alisal class of 2015 alum Guadalupe Montoya was one of the seniors who attended last year’s Sober Grad night. “I decided to go to the event last year because all my friends were going. It was worth it because I was able to hangout with all my friends for the whole night which was fun,” Montoya says. “I can see how some seniors wouldn’t want to go to Sober Grab because of the extreme supervision from teachers and parents. Overall, it’s a great way to spend one last time with all your friends. You realize that after you leave those gym doors at 5 am, it’s all over. You won’t see over half those people ever again.”

Last year’s theme was Casino Night, which consisted of exciting raffles ranging from TV’s, mini fridges, gift cards, mini iPads, a laptop, an XBox, and even a chance to enter a raffle  for a car donated to the district by Toyota/Scion. Some students were lucky enough to win cool gifts. Brian Saldana, part of last year’s graduating class, said, “My favorite part of Sober Grad was when they called my ticket number for a raffle. I had won a 40 inch TV. It was worth going to the dance because it was a fun night. I got to spend time with friends at our last high school dance.” Unfortunately for Montoya, she left empty handed. “I didn’t even get a gift card, but it was nice seeing some of my friends win essentials for college like microwaves,” she says. This year, unfortunately, Toyota/Scion will not be able to donate a car to Class of 2016. Although, they have agreed to raffle $500 for Alisal.

Segovia reveals that this year’s theme will be Superheroes. “Seniors will be handed a superhero cape as they walk into the event. We also have an all-night photo booth where they can take pictures with all their friends.” The whole night will be jam-packed with prices, giveaways, all-you-can-eat menu, airbrush tattoos, and a casino area. “We have a lot of activities planned so that students are not bored but having a great time the whole night to celebrate their graduation.”

Seniors can buy their tickets prior to the event for $15, or they can purchase their tickets at the door for $20. “All of that money goes back to the Sober Grad fund. Any leftover money will go towards the following years. “All the money stays in the Sober Grad committee under the Booster Club account,” said Segovia.  Because of the constant support from the community, the club has been able to go under their set budget for the past years. “I was able to save money because of donations. I ended up saving around $3,000 last year. Every year ranges depending on fundraising, donations, and of course, ticket sales.”

Underclassmen are welcome to participate in the event as volunteers. “We had a lot of underclassmen help the day before setting up for the following night. We had several juniors volunteer the night of the event serving food, help pick up, and basically serving at the event. They were able to receive community service.” It is not only a fun night for seniors, but a great opportunity for underclassmen to complete their hours and spend one last high school event with some of their favorite graduating seniors.