Getting the Band Back Together

Copy of band 2

This has been a year of revitalization for Alisal, from bringing grass back to the inner-court to music back in Room 901. While it was originally used as the music room, it has served as the detention room for the past three years. Now the room happily resonates with the music of instruments as opposed to the ponderous silence it had to suffer previously.

Cristela Pulido, the new band and music teacher, went to Salinas High and is happy to be at Alisal. Pulido previously worked as a substitute and as a music instructor. Her former teachers and music instructors encouraged her to apply as a music instructor here and she is glad that she did. “I always wanted to come back to the community,” she said. “My parents came to this school and were very involved, and I have a lot of extended family here so I’m very honored to finally make it this far and make a difference.” She describes teaching music as her “dream job” and an “honor” to be teaching music to students who are eager to learn.

She discovered her love for the marching band when she went to SalinasHigh School, continued to pursue her passion at San JoseState and now hopes to share that passion with the students here at Salinas. The band class is periods five and six because Pulido is also the music teacher at La PazMiddle School. She has a vision to have a full marching band for next fall and has practiced with the music class a couple times on the basketball courts and the football field. She wants to teach her students marching because it’s “music in motion.” Then the rest of the year will consist of woodwind, brass, and percussion for a concert band.

As a music class, the hierarchy consists of first chair, second chair and so on where students are seated according to their attitude and responsibility but mostly their musical ability. As of right now the band is learning warm-ups and sight reading. They are currently practicing the songs “Let’s Go Band,” “Low Rider,” “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” and the Trojan fight song. Pulido shared that they intend to play in the Christmas Parade of Lights as well as graduation this school year. “We’ve practiced some marching and my hope is to play in the Christmas Parade of Lights. We have some work to do,” she said.

Instruments are in limited supply right now and most students are underclassmen who have no experience with band instruments, according to Pulido.  “Instruments are coming in slowly but surely and we’re extremely grateful; the district is investing in us and we want to make them proud,” Pulido said.

Principal Ernesto Garcia shared similar hopes for the band. “I love it. I’m glad we have it and I hope to expand it.”  Garcia hopes it can become more popular in the near future. “Hopefully we can have a full-fledged band in the future and keep the current teacher because she’s doing a really good job.”

The principal and music teacher aren’t the only ones looking forward to the future of the band.  Freshman Alexis Miranda who plays the baritone sax said, “It’s really fun [music class].” He said he had been interested in music because of his own band, “Servicio Militar” and decided to join the class even if they didn’t offer any electric guitar positions. “It’s different than the guitar but it’s fun to learn something new,” he said.

Sophomore Brian Trujillo said, “I like everybody here and it’s fun.” Trujillo has no past experience with music and said he just wanted to try something new. “I just came in,” he said, and fortunately he is enjoying it.

Eduardo Mundo, a junior, said, “I wanted to gain experience in a musical band.” Mundo plays the clarinet and said that he had previous musical experience playing the accordion but never in a band.

Senior Edgar Mendoza who just transferred this year from Michoacán said the class was “good” and the teacher taught well and was very dedicated. He said he had experience playing the guitar but it was his first time playing a bass clarinet.

Ermie Salango, a senior, said it was her favorite class and encourages students who like music to join the class. “It’s really good,” she said, “for people who really like music and being around instruments.” Ermie plays the flute but was recently placed as a piccolo player, an instrument similar to the flute but smaller. “Mrs. Pulido suggested that I play the piccolo and I wanted to try something new,” she explained.

Copy of band 1

They all agreed that even though the class is just starting out, it has a bright future especially with the passion for music that Pulido shares with her students. “It’s cool,” said senior Jayson Sumagang. “We all suck right now but we’re making progress and Mrs. P is a cool teacher.” Sumagang plays the xylophone. He shared that his own passion for music persuaded him to join the class. “If you join the class, you’ll get a better understanding of music.”

Even the students who are not generally into concert music shared they were enjoying the class. “I plan to stay,” said Salvador Ortega, a junior and the first chair for saxophone. “As a guitarist we need to know how to play these other instruments.” Ortega said that he already plays the guitar and is therefore a little more experienced in music. His friend Ramon Jimenez, a junior who also plays the saxophone, said that they were a bit disappointed at first because they had expected an actual rock and roll band but they ended up liking the class. “She has a vision of what we could become,” Jimenez said.

Despite the challenges that they are facing Pulido is hopeful for the future of the Alisal High School band. “There is no doubt that there is talent here, the Trojan spirit is here, now we just need time to develop,” Pulido said with a reassuring smile.