Babies Not Being Left in the Corner

The Health Education class has Think It Over Dolls and just like with real live newborns accidents do occur. Unlike a toy doll that can be discarded, replaced with a new 20$ doll, and forgotten about, these dolls cost thousands and repairs don’t fall far from it. The school is limited in number of dolls provided and doesn’t

Think It Over Dolls are used from after school to morning and can only be cared for by the student with their designated bracelet. These dolls aren’t used for a more extended period because the ratio of dolls to students doesn’t allow for every student to take one home resulting in a schedule implementation. Interruptions are faced with class doll schedules because unlike babies that grow these dolls face accidental breaks, and malfunctions. A majority of the dolls do achieve their main goal of preventing teen pregnancy by allowing students to struggle with a new born.

In previous years these dolls would have to wait longer to be repaired but a determined third year Engineering Academy student, Edgar Rico, made it his goal to use the 3D printer and create the pieces needed to repair the Think It Over Dolls in class. His attempts weren’t in vain since after multiple trials the dimensions were accurate creating a replica of the previous broken neck pieces. Rico decided to “take on a bigger challenge” as he put it since he felt his Engineering class was becoming an easy task. The results ended up being 10 Think It Over Dolls back to function and saving the school $4,500. Yet, he wasn’t satisfied and decided to mentor 3 other students to fix broken baby dolls as well.

The Engineering program lend a working hand to Health Education and has met its expectations. With the hunger for an even more difficult challenge the students have created a new goal, to fix the wiring that has caused multiple Think It Over Dolls to be placed away. Hopefully the Engineering students will be able to over exceed in their goal and help get these dolls back to work.