Reflections on high school

As cliché as it sounds, it seems like high school has literally flown by. When upper classmen used to tell me to cherish my time, l I wouldn’t take them seriously because who doesn’t want high school to be over? Well, now being in their shoes, borderline to graduate I don’t know how to feel that my senior year is now over. The one word I could really use is bittersweet. I was saddened by the fact that I would never be able to go to another high school dance, play on a varsity team or even have a six period class schedule, but I am happy that this chapter in my life was now over and on to the next one.

However, the most memorable moments in my high school career were the ones leading to the end. The Prom kicked off the beginning of the end, yet the thing I will probably remember the most was the prepping to get “Prom ready.” To just think about keeping a healthy diet and exercise every day seemed like such a drag. Luckily, I had my friends to keep me sane throughout the process.

Prom itself was a memorable night where you got to spend it with your friends and your date. However, it did not go as planned since we were running late (like always). The original plan was to go to Benihanas which is a very beautiful restaurant that we were looking forward to going to. Yet, I was not ready on time and our reservation got canceled. Roaming through the streets of Monterey we could not find one restaurant that was not packed. Soon enough prom had started and we were still hungry looking for a restaurant. Eight turned into nine o’clock and doors closed at nine, so now hungry and with the fear that they would not let us in we had to settle for McDonald’s. MC DONALD’S! Who has prom dinner at McDonalds!? But because of that it made my night even more memorable and humorous. Why, what did you order? How many were there?

Now that prom was over I looked forward to Grad Night and graduation.  Grad Night was a bit of a downer, while on our way there it was a very boring bus ride since our bus driver was very strict; however, we still had high hopes of having a great night. Once we got there our first thing in mind was to go on the scariest ride there “X2,” which we waited to get on for two hours! As soon as it was our turn to get on it they closed down the ride since it was pouring rain and to make it worse most of the rides got closed. But being with my friends and the calming rain made it an amazing night. To top it off they gave us tickets to go again another day as a compensation for getting rained out.

Graduation now awaits. The day we all have always been waiting for. The closure of our high school journey. It’s bittersweet, saying goodbye to my lifelong friends, all of us going our separate ways and hoping to meet once again. To take on these next four years in college, I plan to live in the moment and just cherish time instead of rushing through it so I can enjoy it more and make it more memorable.