The Real Distraction On the Road

The California Highway Patrol recorded 116 traffic fatalities caused by distracted driving in 2009. In 2012 there were more than 3,300 U.S. traffic fatalities and more than 400,000 injuries due to distracted driving, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Distracted driving -texting, talking on the phone, eating – have serious consequences, either an accident or getting stopped by a police and getting a ticket.  To raise awareness among adult and teen drivers and all communities about the importance of eliminating distractions while driving, California Friday Night Live Partnership and The Allstate Foundation, along with Sunrise House, originated Roadwatch.

According to Sunrise House counselor, Guadalupe Figueroa, the roadwatch is provided through CFNLP (California Friday Night Live Partnership) to do things in the community that involve youth or individuals. For example, spending 15 minutes before school watching for distracted driving, specifically in front of the schools. Figueroa said, “ Roadwatch is once a year during October, when CFNLP or traffic commission asks for the stats.”

The following were the results of the roadwatch on October 13, 2015:

Salinas High School

-Cell Phone usage 90 times

-Eating or Drinking 55 times

-Personal Grooming 16 times

-Reaching for an item 17 times

Alisal High School

-Cell Phone usage 225 times

-Eating or Drinking 59 times

-Personal Grooming 41 times

-Reaching for an item 37 times

Mount Toro High School

-Cell Phone usage 42 times

-Eating or Drinking 31 times

-Personal Grooming 13 times

-Reaching for an item 7 times

Everett Alvarez High School

-Cell Phone usage 17 times

-Eating or Drinking 13 times

-Personal Grooming 6 times

-Loud Music 5 times

North Salinas High School

-Cell Phone usage 41 times

-Eating or Drinking 12 times

-Animals in lap 2 times

-Reaching for an item 5 times

North Monterey County High School

-Cell Phone usage 16 times

-Eating or Drinking 8 times    

-Personal Grooming 11 times

-Reaching for an item 4 times

The results didn’t surprise Figueroa. “I wasn’t shocked because you either always see distracted drivers or are the distracted driver on the road.” But what is shocking is seeing parents dropping off their children in the middle of the streets and someone that could be texting or grooming don’t see that kid and that kid can get run over.” Coordinator at Sunrise House, Richelle Santoya stated, “It’s eye-opening definitely, but it’s also kind of become a social norm for people to eat while they’re driving among other things. I think that law-enforcement needs to up their ticket writing.”

Anselmo Aviles, who took part of roadwatch said, “It was surprising, since it’s a school campus and kids are always crossing and you see parents and other drivers, doing things that they should not be doing that could put their kids and other kids in danger.” Another student, Porfirio Aviles, who also took part said, “It was surprising, most of the drivers were distracted, from eating to paying more attention to their animals than on the road.” Senior Claudio Jaramillo said, “I was amazed how many people don’t pay attention to what is important.”

Figueroa has a simple fix to preventing accidents due to distractions, “It’s better to put your phone away and just drive to work or wherever you have to get to, it (the phone) can wait.” Figueroa said passengers could do their part by keeping the driver focused on the road. Santoya added, “Keep your eyes on the road, the amount of time that it takes for a person to look at their phone and text is 5 seconds, during which their eyes are not on the road, and if you’re going 55mph that’s the length of a football field.”

Jim Kooler CFNLP Director said, “Engaging California’s young people like this encourages their positive and healthy development and empowers them to become active leaders, programs like our annual Traffic Safety Summit and this Allstate Foundation Roadwatch allow California youths to lead their peers in reducing distracted driving collisions.” Meanwhile, Phil Telgenhoff, Field Senior Vice-President of Allstate Insurance Company in California stated, “Reducing distractions behind the wheel is something we all can do, it cost nothing and its savings are enormous, when we choose to drive more safety, we improve the safety of everyone on the road at the same.”

For anyone interested in either getting involved or getting more information, can contact Richelle Santoya by email [email protected] or phone (831)751-9350.