Being in the moment

Science+teacher+Lucy+Lynn+rings+her+bell+to+call+attention+to+her+5th+period+class.+After+gettin+her+students+attention%2C+Lynn+guides+them+through+a+breathing+exercise+which+includes+breathing+in+until+your+lungs+are+full+and+breathing+out+for+longer+than+your+previous+breath+intake.+%E2%80%9CThe+students+need+time+to+settle+down+after+lunch+and+calling+attention+to+a+mindfulness+exercise+really+helps+them+out%2C%E2%80%9D+she+said.+

Miguel Na

Science teacher Lucy Lynn rings her bell to call attention to her 5th period class. After gettin her students’ attention, Lynn guides them through a breathing exercise which includes breathing in until your lungs are full and breathing out for longer than your previous breath intake. “The students need time to settle down after lunch and calling attention to a mindfulness exercise really helps them out,” she said.

Practicing mindfulness through meditation or any other way can be a key component to finding peace within yourself. The concept of mindfulness can be described as sensing the moment, being aware of the moment, and being completely in tune with the activity of the moment. 

Mindfulness is more practiced than thought. In a survey of 500 students, 51% said they don’t practice mindfulness, and 49% said they do and have had great results practicing mindfulness. 

Consistently being mindful, committing to your practices, and truly practicing mindfulness may grant you inner peace, make you more attentive, and make you come to terms with your feelings. Students who commonly practice being mindful, Bethany Vargas, Nathalie Maravillo, and Dulce Terrazas can vouch as they have reaped the benefits of mindfulness. Terrazas said, “I mean what don’t you gain? I gather my family together to do something fun. My life is well organized and manageable. I have a work routine yet I still have time for myself, school, family, and friends,.” Terrazas said, As outlined, mindfulness could be the trump card in your life because I know it was for me. 

The average practitioner does an activity that calms them down. Samantha Canchola practices mindfulness by using a special technique. “I calmly acknowledge and accept my feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, and use it as a therapeutic technique,” she said. She goes on to say that mindfulness is the concept of being conscious of what you are doing and strongly advocates the concept. 

On the other hand, those who don’t practice mindfulness say they are unaware of the concept itself or don’t know how to start. Fidel Meneses falls into the category, he said, “I don’t even know what that is.” Brandon Cano in a similar mindset said, “ I didn’t even know about it until now.”   

Much like Samantha, I too believe mindfulness is being conscious of the moment and truly living in it. I usually practice mindfulness by meditating in the shower. After I finish my shower, I sit on the shower floor, close my eyes, and start controlling my breathing. I ultimately clear my head and feel way better.

Out of the students surveyed on whether or not mindfulness was important, most said it was important even if they weren’t practitioners. Those who don’t practice it, don’t practice it mainly because they are unfamiliar with the concept. However, the majority of students agree that it’s very beneficial and could even be life-changing. “I think mindfulness is a 10 because I think it’ll also help with your mental health because you’re just taking a step back from reality and taking life for what it is, which could seriously turn your life around,” junior Tania Canales said. 

Our staff is also on board with being mindful. Teachers like Ms. Lynn and Mrs. Rasul are advocates for mindfulness. “It’s important to let your body and mind relax and calm down and it kinda helps you connect with yourself and you know keep track of your thoughts,” Lynn said.

As a common practitioner I recommend it. Regardless of whether or not it sounds cliche, being mindful has no cons and should be seen as a mere stepping stone to inner and external peace. “Considering who and what is around you and enjoying every moment of life is what it means to be mindful,” said Alexis Ruiz.