Young Entrepreneurs Club

Table ornaments will be sold for $25 at the Flair on the Farm: Holiday Boutique on November 21.

Who doesn’t want to make money? We all jump at the opportunity to make money, especially when that opportunity is offered on our very own campus. That is what the Young Entrepreneurs Club is promoting.

This club was started by Math-1 teacher, Janice Aliotti, who was willing to invest $500 in this club in order to expose students to the business and marketing world. Aliotti’s purpose for the club is to get students both career and college ready. Aliotti states, “American high school is currently working with the switch to common core. This makes the statement that every kid in the U.S. must be career and college ready.” The purpose of the club is to get students thinking analytically and critically.

Club President, Lupita Esparza, was the first to take interest in the club. “I joined the club because I had always been interested in business. This would provide that opportunity for me.”

She recruited a few of her friends and soon the club was up and running. Once Esparza approached her friends with “Do you want to make money?” they jumped right on board. There are currently nine students working at her side. Alisal junior Emmanuel Nieto, states, “I joined because of how intriguing it sounded to make money.”

And so, with great deliberate speed, the students submitted the club’s constitution and they were officially established on October 1st. At their first meeting, Esparza was elected President and they then began pitching in ideas to be able to fundraise for the club. For starters, they knew Aliotti was willing to invest $500 in the club as long as they came up with a legitimate fundraiser. Aliotti suggested they sell at the Flair on the Farm: Holiday Boutique on November 21. “It was a good way to raise money since the expected turnout is a few hundred people. Usually, they’re willing to support high school students,” Aliotti mentions. “We ended up voting to sell Christmas wreaths and ornaments since it’s holiday season,” Nieto states.

The Young Entrepreneurs bought materials from Dollar Tree, Michael’s, Party City and Amazon, spending the full $500. “Currently, we’re working hard on finishing up the candy cane wreaths and table ornaments,” Esparza states as they prepare for the upcoming fundraiser that is approaching faster than anticipated.

The club members have learned that time is scarce while finishing up the ornaments. Time management is key. “We have to put in time during lunch, after school, and even at home. I sometimes have to stay up really late working on the table ornaments,” Esparza states. Their commitment to the club has required them to prioritize their time. For Esparza, she has had to skip cross country practice in order to finish the ornaments on time. “It’s definitely more work than we had expected.” Aliotti constantly emphasizes the importance of deadlines. “Business is not an easy job and I think the students are figuring that out what they got themselves into. Now the pressure’s on because we have very limited time to finish the product. But hey, that’s business.”

Sophomore Jacob Perez was also captured by the idea of making money. “My dad was recently injured and is still at the hospital in critical condition. I felt the need to help my family financially and since introduced me to this great opportunity, I didn’t think twice.” Perez finds it difficult for himself as his family struggles to pay the medical bills. “I hope that through this fundraiser and future fundraisers, we make enough profit to split amongst each other. I have hope that through hard work and determination, our club will expand.”

Aliotti will make sure that the profit the club makes will be split amongst the members. “I’ll oversee that they use the funds for things like college apps, computers for school and stuff like that.” She also said, “Even if students don’t open a business of their own, they know how business works and what goes into starting a business. Steve Jobs started in his garage in Palo Alto which shows how crazy business really is.”

Even though these students are not experts with the business world, they’re planning on using this club to their advantage. “I’m not sure if business and marketing is a major that I want to pursue. But I’m more interested in becoming an attorney when I’m older. Maybe open up an attorney office in the local area and sell some homemade keychains on the side,” Lupita joked. Perez attested to Esparza’s ability, “Lupita can definitely achieve anything she sets her mind to. If she decides to open up a business, she will become successful because of her work ethic. It’s impressive.” Perez said that he is very interested in the linguistics of economics. “I still don’t know what major I would like to pursue but I’m keeping my mind open.”

The main thing that Aliotti wants to promote is that college and career readiness. Maybe someone will change their mind and go to college. Aliotti states ,“The first Apple computer was a wooden box with electronics inside it. It’s hilarious. You look at that and you go ‘really?’ It’s very risky, but exciting.”

Stay tuned for these young aspiring entrepreneurs as they take on Flair on the Farm: Holiday Boutique on November 21st. The club is open to selling the ornaments to interested individuals if they end up with leftovers.