Staying fit with All Girls Workout Camp

All Girls Workout Camp being led by Dalilah Alvarado for the zumba class with Ms. Baldwin dancing side by side with them.

Millions of females around the country don’t understand what is and what is not healthy in today’s society. The mission to inspire a generation of leaders to live a healthier lifestyle is getting started here through the All Girls Workout Camp, the goal being to raise awareness on nutrition, wellness, and mental resiliency.

Courtney Baldwin, a health coordinator with HealthCorps, will be the mentor of this new club and wants to provide teenage girls with the tools to live a healthier and happier life. Healthcorps is national non-profit organization dedicated to making high school students healthier according to Baldwin. Baldwin graduated from Davidson College with a degree in psychology and has an energetic personality that keeps students motivated. Naturally, she is a healthy minded individual who likes to keep active, take care of herself, and eat well.

Baldwin became interested in teaching young ladies when she was approached by a group of girls who were interested in a place to workout. “They wanted this to be an all girls workout group simply because they wanted a completely safe zone where girls of all fitness levels, body types, and backgrounds could feel comfortable working out,” said Ms. Baldwin.

She will be teaching important issues such as nutrition, fitness, and mental resilience lessons. Baldwin will be giving actual classes while school is in session about nutrition and the importance of eating healthy at home and school. She says that a lot of the students are risk of harming themselves based on the food that they are putting inside their bodies. It is important to teach this in high school since this is starting our lifelong habits as an adult according to her.

She will also run activities such as the All Girls Zumba,  an after school cooking class, and the All Girls Workout Camp. The All Girls Workout Camp is focused on three different workouts from zumba, strength training, and bodyweight exercises. She said, “Half of the time is spent on zumba doing different dances, strength training is divided into different stations for arms, legs, or abs, and lastly cardio, including burpees or jump roping.” These exercises will go at your own pace and according to Baldwin, “The mission is to give girls the opportunity to workout in a no judgment safe place since there seems to be a gaping hole in the fitness activities for students who aren’t athletes.”

Principal Ernesto Garcia hopes to see change in students eating habits, and healthier choices being made will have a positive influence by “bettering the nutrition of our students, and providing information that they need in order to improve their eating habits and mental state of mind,” said Mr. Garcia.

Girls who are interested in participating in this group should contact Baldwin by email or attend her after school sessions in room 510 on Mondays from 3:15 – 5:15. This makes it possible for every student interested in working out since after school tutorials interfere with students’ schedules.

About thirty five girls have signed up for the All Girls Workout Camp. Sometimes only a small amount of girls will show up, so it really just depends on them. One of the girls, Paulina Hernandez, who is taking part in the All Girls Workout Camp has said that being part of the workout camp is easy access to workout, and enjoys the fact that it’s also all girls so she feels comfortable working out. Baldwin hopes to see more girls join the All Girls Workout Camp, and see students of Alisal High School making healthier choices for their future.