Trojan Tribune

Filed under Feature, Showcase

There’s nothing fun to do in Salinas, right? Wrong!

Caption: Toro park(top left), Valley Center Bowl(top right), Northridge Mall(bottom left), Monterey Asilomar State Beach(bottom right)

Caption: Toro park(top left), Valley Center Bowl(top right), Northridge 
Mall(bottom left), Monterey Asilomar State Beach(bottom right)

High school can be stressful, whether you’re a freshman who is learning how to cope with the new school system and people, or you’re a senior who is completing the graduation requirements. Whichever one you are, we all need some fun time. Whether is taking a walk, eating somewhere, bowling, or just going to watch a movie.There are many activities and places you can go alone, or even better, with your friends.This places and activities will sure give you an enjoyable time. While many teens think that Salinas is boring, that’s not true.

For those who like getting out and being active, you have several options. To begin with, Toro Park. If you and your friends want to do something fun outside, Toro Park is a good option. Hiking is one of the main reasons why it’s a popular park, and there is over 20 miles of trails. But if hiking isn’t your thing, they offer riding trails, softball fields, playground, and volleyball courts.

Another option is Salinas River National Wildlife Refuge; another good place to hike or just chill with your friends. It’s located 11 miles north of Monterey and 3 miles south of Castroville at the point that Salinas River empties into Monterey Bay. Dogs and camping are not permitted due to the sensitivity of the habitat. For more information

If you’re someone who likes tourism and the ocean, Monterey Bay is the perfect closest place. It is approximately 28 minutes from Salinas. There are many clothing stores, gift shops, and restaurants that offer delicious food. The beach is a place that’s always fun to visit, and even more with friends. Don’t have a ride? No problem, there’s a bus from Salinas to Monterey. You can take bus #56, which takes about 51 minutes to get there and costs $3.50.  

For shopping a little closer to home, there is Northridge Mall. Whether you plan to shop or just eat, Northridge Mall offers free wi-fi, many stores and a food court. The mall has a new look and new openings.  According to the Northridge Mall Salinas webpage, Round1 is going to be one of their new openings. But what exactly is Round1? Well, it’s a family fun center. They will offer bowling, karaoke, an arcade, billiards, and a restaurant. Bus #41 if you’re going after school, or #44, #45 takes like 28 minutes and costs $2.50.

For the people who prefer the nightlife, Century Theaters is a good option. A night at the movie theater with friends can be really fun. New movies come out almost every week, plus they also offer a small arcade inside. If you and your friends don’t have a ride, there’s a bus that goes at different times of the day to Northridge Mall that is pretty much crossing the street from Century Theaters (The bus takes like 30 min). Likewise, Maya Cinemas is another movie theater here in Salinas. This theater also offers a small arcade inside. It’s located near Oldtown Salinas. The #41 bus will arrive at the Salinas Transit Center (two blocks away from the theater), and it takes approximately 38 min.

If bowling is your thing, you’re going to want to visit Valley Center Bowl. Bowling is really fun! And it’s much better with friends. Valley Center Bowl is on South Main Street, if you’re taking a bus, #41 will take you to the Salinas Transit Center and after that you can also take bus #95  will take approximately 20 minutes.

As teens, we have a whole lot of energy and also an adventurous spirit, but high school can be stressful and boring. Salinas offers us

fun places and activities to have a good time and get all the stress off our shoulders.  

By Amy Islas