The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Looking to learn

Volleyball team working for first league win
In a preseason ,matchup, outside hitter Nicole Arreguin blocks a hit from North High, scoring a point for the Trojans. The Vikings won 4-1.

After finishing 2-10 in the Gabilan Division last year, the girls’ volleyball team hoped to bounce back with their move to the Mission Division. 

Last season, varsity finished  6th place in the Gabilan division. One of the main conflicts the team faced was getting used to new rotations. Coach Cynthia Huerta said, “One thing we struggled with was how I wanted to run rotations. The way I ran them was not run by them for many years. It was hard introducing and trying to get used to them, but overall last year’s girls did great.” 

The team consists of twelve players – five returning to varsity and seven newcomers. Returning this year are seniors Sarahi Angeles (DS, Libero), Nicole Arreguin (Outside), Ximena Estrada (DS Libero), Brandee Garcia (Outside), Ashely Rodriguez (right side), and sophomore Janelle Medina(Setter). Joining them are juniors Alyssa Annis (DS ), Jasmine Estrada (Middle ), Citlali Hernandez (Middle), and Britley Garcia (DS); sophomores Sara Nueman (Middle), and Nayeli Gil Silva (Outside); and freshmen Aalyiah Quintero (DS), Areli Rodriguez (Outside), and Lali Solis (setter). 

Moving down to Mission has created a different playing environment for the players. This year, the varsity is filled with younger athletes. Having young players allows the coach to slow down and prepare them for the upcoming years. “A goal for them and the whole team is to progress and learn,” Huerta said. For returning players, they hope to help their younger teammates out for upcoming years.  Senior Nicole Arreguin said, ¨There are a lot of [young players on] the team so it´s something I had to accommodate to, but they have a lot of potential for future seasons.¨  

Through seven league games, the team is winless at 0-7. Despite the losses, the girls continue to keep a positive mindset on the court.  “We feel defeated and yeah we have challenges throughout this season, but we definitely have potential to be cohesive as a team,¨ senior Ximena Estrada said. For senior Nicole Arreguin one of her ultimate goals is to finish her last year strong. ¨Although the record is not what I´d like it to be, I continue playing to outbeat my past self.¨