The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Game Review: Overcooked 2

Overcooked 2 is the sequel of Overcooked, a continuation of a co-op game of 1-4 players where you cook and serve meals to customers before they run out of patience and leave. You can purchase the game on platforms like Xbox One, Xbox One Series S and X, PlayStation 4 and 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

The plot of the game is you continuing your journey from the last game. You return to the Onion Kingdom, and can play alone through the journey or build a team of other chefs with friends to defeat the unbread army which are bread that have returned from the dead. There is a variety of chef avatars you can choose from, like human chefs, animal chefs, and fantasy chefs. The chef I would use while playing the game was one of the animal chef’s which was a shark. 

If you’ve played games like Diner Dash or Cooking Fever, I recommend Overcooked 2 because the concept is pretty much the same – cook food, serve it, and clean up.

Through the levels in the game, you’ll be able to defeat the unbread army by completing levels. You complete each level by earning a certain amount of coins needed to earn one out of three stars you can earn. You earn a certain amount of coins depending on how well you serve a dish and if you serve it in time before a customer storms out because you weren’t fast enough to serve their dish. As a result, you’ll lose coins.

When you complete certain levels in a specific area of the world, you’ll unlock new areas and further progress in your journey. Your view of the world is like a map, and you move to each specific area and level freely on a food truck that can transform into different vehicles depending on the area you’re in.  

For example, if you’re in an area that’s in the sky, the food truck will turn into a food truck plane, and if it’s in a water area it’ll turn into a boat food truck. Some locations that you cook at during your journey are a sushi restaurant, hot air balloon, boat, mining site, cemetery, and more depending on if you buy DLC for the game. 

The dishes you cook vary depending on what level or area of the game you’re in. The dishes you prepare and serve at the beginning of the game are salads, sushi, sashimi, and pasta. But as you progress further you start doing other ones like pizzas, burgers, burritos, frits, steamed food, pancakes, and cakes. You prepare these dishes in a way you would prepare them in real life, but obviously with fewer steps and more simply. If the dish you’re preparing is one you cook in either a pan, pot, or oven, it can burn if left for too long and it catches on fire. The fire can jump around and land on the floor which blocks your path and prevents you from being able to walk through there unless it’s put out with the fire extinguisher.

When someone orders, you continue seeing that order on the top left corner of the screen so you won’t forget it and it shows you the amount of time you have to finish the dish with a green bar slowly turning into red and smaller, signaling that time is ticking before the customer leaves.  After you finish preparing the dish, you put it on a plate so you may serve it to the customer and that’s when you get the coins needed to get the stars needed to pass the level.  You can get up to three stars, but you just need one-star minimum to pass the level. You’ll know once a customer is done with their meal if you see a dirty dish appear next to the sink. Once you see the dirty dishes, you need to clean them to use them again to serve food. If you don’t clean them, you won’t be able to serve meals to the customers resulting in you losing coins and dirty dishes piling up. 

Things I enjoyed about Overcooked 2 is how funny the art style is. I find it silly and one of the key factors that make the game stand out. I also like how it gives you and your friends multiple choices of chef avatars to be in the game. I like how stressed and panic the game makes you, and how you need to be perfect in almost everything and not mess up a dish. And how it’s overall a fun game to play alone and especially with your friends. 

Overall, I give this game a 9/10, this game is really enjoyable and it’s a game where you can still play and enjoy even when you finish all the levels because it’s that good. The stress rush it gives you to finish dishes in time, the way you have to communicate with your friends to get dishes done and all the arguing and laughing makes this game for me so enjoyable. The only thing that makes this game not a 10/10 for me is that it made me break a controller (by throwing it in frustration lol). I recommend this game to people, it’s fun and enjoyable, and one of the best games to play and enjoy with your friends.