The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Song Review – Beautiful Things/Benson Boone

gomoxie.org
gomoxie.org

Singing sensation, Benson Boone, has released a remarkable single titled, “Beautiful Things”, showcasing his captivating vocals through lyrics that many people are relating to.

The 21-year-old singer and songwriter rose to fame through social media and has recently become a huge hit in the music industry. He auditioned for American Idol in 2021 and made it to the top 24, before deciding to drop out of the competition. “Everybody on the show wanted to [make] music; they had been waiting for this moment their whole lives. And I did not feel that way,” Boone discussed in an interview with Young Post.

Not long after leaving the show, Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons reached out and invited Boone to Las Vegas to work with him. Reynolds was so impressed with Boone’s voice that he signed him a record deal with his own, Night Street Records. 

After being signed, he debuted his music career in October 2021 with his hit single “GHOST TOWN” which gained an intense amount of popularity when it was released. It peaked at #79 on Billboard’s Top 100, making it his first entry. He later went on to release an even bigger hit titled, “In The Stars” which peaked at #48 on Billboard’s Top 100. Since then, Boone has gone on to release 2 EPs titled “Walk Me Home…” (2022) and ‘PULSE” (2023), toured around Europe and North America, and has accumulated more than 1.9 Billion global streams. 

On January 18, 2024, Boone released his latest single “Beautiful Things,” which debuted at #15 on Billboard’s Hot 100. It is a pop single with a folk-like tone that Boone has described as a “ballad about the meaning of life.”

The song opens with a sweet melodic tune and a reflection of the obstacles the singer has been through. Boone sings, “For awhile it was rough, but lately I’ve been doin’ better, than the last four cold Decembers I recall.” A minute into the song, the tone completely shifts. What once was a sweet-sounding song, changed into a powerful, heartfelt melody that embodies the anxiety of losing the beautiful things we cherish. 

Overall, the song was great, and the lyrics were found to be very relatable. Though, personally, it’s not an add-to-playlist type of song for me. I tend to listen to more R&B songs from artists like Daniel Caesar and Frank Ocean, and this song is out of that genre. Benson Boone’s sound is a lot like that of Niall Horan and Noah Kahan, so if you’re a fan of them, you’ll likely enjoy this single. I give the song a solid 4/5.