The Human Canvas

English teacher Theresa Gonzales said that she grew up around tattoos; the hummingbird and her grandmother’s signature in remembrance of her grandmother who loved hummingbirds. While she isn’t against tattooing, she feels students should wait until they’re in their 20s before getting a tattoo because they change so much in the years between high school and college.

Tattoos have been around for thousands of years. These permanent designs were used as amulets, status symbols, declarations of love, signs of religious beliefs, and as adornments.

But somewhere along the way they developed a stigma. The poster-children of tattoos – bikers, sailors, gang members, freaks –were not part of the “mainstream” or “normal” population.

However, it seems not many would stand against tattooing any longer according to the Harris Poll of 2012, which stated that one in every five Americans has a tattoo. This is shown by celebrities – singers, movie and TV stars, and professional athletes – who have made tattooing more socially acceptable by inking up. Cee Lo Green from the popular TV series The Voice has tattoo sleeves (as well as head); teenage heart-throb Harry Styles from the group One Direction has tattoos on his arms and chest; renowned actor Johnny Depp has several tattoos across his body; Pop singer Rihanna has tattoos of stars down the back of her neck; American guitarist and singer John Mayer has a full sleeve, former English footballer David Beckham has sleeves, Rapper Chris Brown has tattoos covering his body, American singer and judge also from the TV series The Voice Adam Levine has tattoos across his arms and shoulders; Popular rapper Li’l Wayne has tattoos covering his body; American guitarist Benji Madden has tattoo sleeves; and American actress Scarlett Johansson with a tattoo on her arm and side, as well as many professional athletes . All of these individuals have made tattooing a form of self expression and started to remove the stigma on tattoos.

In Smithsonian Magazine, the tattoo photographer Chris Rainer, publisher of the 2006 book Ancient Marks: The Sacred Origins of Tattoos and Body Markings said, “Blank skin is merely a canvas for a story.” There is a saying however that says that a picture is a thousand words and to some people one tattoo can mean a whole lot more to them than an arm covered with many different tattoos. Tattoos are storybooks etched into bodies.

AVID and social studies teacher, Rene Rice tattooed ‘Loyalty’ on the inside of her right arm. “I got this tattoo for myself,” she said, “to remind myself to be loyal to myself and not let other people take advantage of my kindness and generosity.”

English teacher Theresa Gonzales said that she grew up around tattoos; she has a hummingbird and her grandmother’s signature in remembrance of her grandmother who loved hummingbirds. She is not against tattooing but she did say that it would be wise for students to wait until they were older to get them especially if they didn’t know yet what profession they would go into. She shared that her dad has up to 30 tattoos but when he puts on a shirt, you can’t see a single one and he looks professional. “People are so different when they were teenagers than when they are twenty years old.” She smiled, slightly shaking her head at teenagers’ impulsive behavior. “Teenagers don’t think about where they put them. They don’t think about their future.”

Senior football player Angel Estrada said, “Tattoos should not be looked down on; they are art.” He has a tattoo of his last name across the outside of his arm in large slanting font. He said it symbolizes his pride in himself as a person.

Regardless of what you get on your body it should have meaning, according to math teacher, Carola Beussen.  She has a tattoo of three flowers – one for her and her two daughters.  “People want to express themselves that way (through tattooing) and it’s everyone’s free decision but they have to keep in mind that it’s not temporary.”

While everyone in America has the right to freedom of expression, and tattoos are a form of expression, some feel it has gone too far. Matt Barclay, a US Government teacher, said, “When my son and I were in Las Vegas over summer, I noticed so many people my age that had tattoos just everywhere and I found that to be kind of distasteful to me. It just gets out of hand; people can’t stop at one tattoo. It’s almost an addiction.” Alisal High School students Alex Mosqueda and Eduardo Lopez agreed that it was “unattractive” and would never consider getting some themselves. And even though some students like Luis Cabrera said that it was acceptable in his eyes, he would never actually get any done himself because of the reaction he would get from his circle of friends.

The concept of the human canvas is not a new one but it was considered exclusive. Now with celebrities getting inked up it has become more socially acceptable and you see more people getting tattoos and having their story on display for the world to see.