The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Podcast review: Suburb Talks

Podcast review: Suburb Talks

I’ve never been a huge fan of podcasts, but more into watching videos or listening to music. The podcasts I’ve seen on my TikTok feed or online don’t catch my attention because most of them are older people discussing news topics that don’t interest me, and overall the idea of podcast’s seemed boring.

Around a year ago I saw a clip of a podcast, a group of friends on my TikTok for you page talking about their experiences at raves and the do’s and don’t’s before going to a rave. The way they were all laughing and talking felt so genuine. They don’t filter what they say and just have genuine conversations. I went on their page and found them on YouTube as Suburb Talks.

Suburb Talks is a group of friends with a podcast where they speak about anything and everything. They talk about their stories, their past, their regrets, and their good times. The podcast is on YouTube with over 581k subscribers and 17k listeners on Spotify with a 4.9-star rating. As of April, they have 167 episodes. Each episode range from around 1 hr 30 min to 2 hrs, and uploads once a week. 

The whole idea of their podcast is a group of friends just getting together and talking, involving fans, and topics they want to talk about. Nick Grajeda is the creator of this podcast. Alongside Grajeda are his closest friends Sean, Cynthia, Devin, Sage, and Maru. They’ve all been best friends for a couple of years, some since elementary and some since high school. They take turns being the host, and with that they have the responsibility to get an outfit for them to wear according to the theme they pick.

To me the girls really make the episodes more relatable, enjoyable so they’re my favorites, Maru and Cynthia. Maru is the sweetest and Cynthia is just iconic. They have the purest hearts and really make everyone fit like puzzle pieces.

I like how they usually start by just speaking to each other. They warm up rather than going straight into podcast mode. After a few minutes, the host introduces everyone sitting at the round table with their name or what they dressed in. 

They can get very vulnerable and talk about relatable things that mostly 18+ can associate with, which is who I mostly recommend it to. I find it very relatable when they talk about past relationships and how at times they tended to ignore the “red flags”. They speak on personal experiences with friendships and how to keep healthy ones, which I’m currently working on.

An episode that has made me laugh the most is “SHOULD PDA BE BANNED IN EVERY COUNTRY?!?”. They mostly talked about what was on everyone’s TikTok for you page that week. The funniest part of the episode was when Nick was asking the table who “mogs” more, him or Sean. If you “mog” someone you are the “better looking one” with a more symmetrical face. This then led to Nick making faces as if he were modeling, looking straight at the camera. They all started making the mogging face, sucking in their cheeks, and looking each other in the eyes as if they were models, it was silly. Then they started talking about how they all have a duo in the group they look exactly like. To me Devin and Sage look exactly alike, they can be so in sync, it’s crazy. 

Another of my favorites would be, where they have a guest would be, “IS THIS THE BIGGEST RED FLAG IN A GUY?!?”. In this episode the famous TikTok star Fannita. Fannita is humorous and says what she wants to say with confidence. They all open up about their past relationships. Fannita talks about her experience in high school and how she’s grown from how she used to see things. Hearing her talk about high school made me realize that where I am right now isn’t forever. I graduate soon and all of this will just be my story of my past. This episode had many laughs, heartfelt topics, and good advice that the group brought together. 

My favorite thing about the podcast is that you get 6 very different opinions and at times they have guests. From famous Tiktokers to old friends or anyone trending at the time; my favorite being Tara Yummy. 

They just came out with a new YouTube account, Burb N Frenz.  Many fans requested that they make content outside the podcast room. They want to see them outside in their normal environment, trying something new out. It’s the same group of people with a different concept more like challenge videos which I find hilarious just because you can see the duos they have and they just mess around. Around the end of January, they came out with the first video to introduce the new account which is growing rapidly. 

Overall, I recommend it to people who want to try listening to podcasts. They’re relatable and open to all opinions. You laugh, listen to some advice, and enjoy. I would rate the podcast a 10/10.