The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan All-Star program recognizes staff

The Trojan All-Stars program is a staff recognition program, similar to the Student of the Quarter but for the staff.
Bruno Moreno

While most people have heard of the Trojan Traits program and the Student of the Quarter, many may be unfamiliar with the Trojan All-Stars program.

The Trojan All-Stars program is a staff recognition program, similar to the Student of the Quarter but for the staff. It was created by the PBIS group before the pandemic happened. The PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) is a major program in Alisal and is run by staff, student representatives, counselors, and parents. 

PBIS Clerk Alexandria Martinez said the group’s goal is to “improve the school climate, and make sure that there is positivity, and school is a safe place for all students and staff.,” 

Assistant Principal Tiffany Ayala oversees the Trojan All-Stars Program and many others since they are all extensions of the PBIS program. “(When) PBIS Tier 1 (was created)… Years ago when we were just getting formed, it was the group’s idea to start recognizing staff members,” Ayala said. 

Back then she was the administrator of a group of 10, made up of administrators, team leads, teachers, the activities director, and a student, who came up with the idea. 

In November of 2017, they committed to making the program a reality. The PBIS Tier 1 team released a survey containing several names of what to name the certificated and certified recognition wall. Of all the options available, the staff chose Trojan All-Stars. The program’s point is “encouraging staff to keep going and making them feel appreciated,” Ayala said. 

The Trojan All-Stars program applies to school staff –  teachers, counselors, and administrators – anyone who works here on campus can be chosen. The program’s goal is to pick staff and be recognized for what they contribute to their school and the students during the monthly meeting for teachers and staff. “It would be nice if people could take their time to recognize their colleagues,” Ayala said.

The nomination process begins with a survey for teachers to select a staff member. They must explain why they chose the candidate and write about how they make the school a better place for students and others. The first nomination was made in January of 2018.

Staff members nominated are acknowledged during staff meetings and recognized by their colleagues. In the front office, on the opposite side of the valedictorian pictures, some frames hold the winners, including their names, what they do, and a small summary of what they did to be acknowledged. “It boosts morale,” Ayala said. “I think that our jobs are exhausting. You work at a school and especially this school, we have the most students in the county, and everyone is here for the right reasons. All of our staff members from, teachers, admin, classified, like, everyone’s here for the right reasons.”

Moises Martinez, a 9th-grade AVID teacher was one of the original eight honored, “It was an amazing honor to be recognized as a Trojan All-Star,” Martinez said. “This acknowledgment wouldn’t be possible without the support of our incredible AHS staff members. Their encouragement and collaboration have allowed me to transition to AVID 9 smoothly.”  

During the first quarter, many staff members were nominated for their efforts in helping seniors enroll in their future schools. The CCR counselors, including Dr. Guttierez, Ms. Rocha, and Mr. Chaidez were nominees for the 1st Quarter of the Trojan All-Stars. “I felt honored, Chaidez said.” “Honestly, I did not expect it because when I do my work, it’s just my work ethic, ensuring everything’s done thoroughly, and, most of all, ensuring that the students get the support they need.”

Although 8 staff members have been displayed, many students and staff may be unaware that the program is a thing. According to Ayala, the next time there might be a new set of nominees will be at the end of April or May. 

After the 2022-23 PBIS annual Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI) the team as a whole, realized they needed to improve their teacher acknowledgment systems. “As a team, we need to figure out how to advertise more due to our limitations using technology platforms like Google Classroom and email since not everyone checks their emails,” Alexandria Martinez said. ”During our next PBIS annual TFI  which is coming up, we will discuss additional avenues like YouTube (morning) announcements.”