Varsity Boys’ Basketball

With a great season last year, Coach Jose Gil expected hard work from the team, especially since many of the players were returning to varsity. Although he did lose a few star players from last year, Jesus Salinas and Hugo Huerta, the team was able to move forward.

Gil had high hopes for the young team. The boys were second in their league last season with a record of 10-2 and had an overall season of 14-4. Gil said, “The boys competed at the highest level possible and finished strong with everyone healthy.” They had a great start during preseason by placing second and third in two tournaments. Junior Israel Mandujano said, “We had a strong preseason. It really set the tone for the rest of the year and it proved we could compete for the league title.”

But the team also had some struggles at the start of league. The Trojans had a full team at the beginning, but by the start of the second semester, there were only ten players due to grades. Senior Ricardo Carillo said, “Since we didn’t have a full team of 15 this year, it was kind of a struggle but we worked through it. The team did a great job adjusting to the changes.” The boys went 8-4 and finished in 3rd Place in the Pacific Division of the Monterey Bay League. “We finished the first half of league really well and lost to only two teams. It was tough but we managed to pull it off with a good record,” said junior Ricardo Picasso.

A great new edition to the team was freshman Steven Castro. He was a starting player for most of the season, a great accomplishment for a freshman. Castro was not unfamiliar to Gil’s style, since he played in Gil’s basketball club for two years before high school. Gil said, “I brought him into varsity because I witnessed him grow up and saw Steven’s potential. I hope to help him reach his maximum potential during his four years here.” Castro said, “Varsity’s a challenge but it’s great. The team pushes me to work hard and try my best and I know we’ll have each other’s back.”

The most exciting aspect was the team’s overall youth – only three seniors, four juniors, two sophomores, and a freshman. Two of the juniors, Darwin Ongy and Jessy Hurtado, were team captains. Gil said, “Darwin was a great leader. He was hardworking on and off the court, led by example, and communicated to the team. I could tell him to deliver a message to the rest of the team and he would take care of it.” Hurtado and Ongy had to step up this year and leadership roles were relatively new to them. Hurtado said, “As a captain, I have to be able to bring their spirits up because those are the things that captains do. They are my family on and off the court.”

For Ongy, becoming a leader was nerve wracking at first because taking leadership was new. However, he persisted and tried his best to become a good role model, teammate, and leader. Ongy said, “I improved on being a better captain and player. As a team, we improved on communication on the court because all great teams communicate.”

Gil felt the team had a great season overall, going 17-7 overall. He said, “I’m happy with the season’s outcome. Despite illnesses, injuries and ineligibilities we did the best with what we had.” Ongy and Hurtado did a great job being co-captains, and both were First Team All-Leaguers a result of their hard work. With only three seniors graduating, the team has a lot to build off of, leaving the team optimistic for next season.