Alisal gets new multi-purpose room, finally

P.E. teacher Ignacio Flores demonstrates where the new multipurpose room will be built.

While the student population at Alisal has grown in recent years, the school has not. All that will change next school year thanks to some new portables and a new multipurpose room.

The multipurpose room will be located next to the tennis courts and baseball field. Measuring 2500 square feet, the new facility will be the home of a new weight room as well as a new practice area for the wrestling team.

Coach JJ Garcia plans to take advantage of this new resource in order to improve his team. The wrestling team is migrating due to the lack of space in their former wrestling room, but Garcia isn’t convinced the new room will alleviate that situation.  “We have a growing team. We started with a varsity team and then we expanded to a JV team. We have recently added a girls’ team and now we are expecting to have a JV girls’ team,” said Garcia. One upside, according to Garcia, is that wrestling practice would not be interrupted because of meetings that need to be held in the cafeteria.

The PE department is looking forward to having this new space available as well. “We should be able to use this as a classroom, have a weight lifting unit, and use it for rainy days when the gym gets too full,” said Mr. Monroe. This space should provide the PE department with more freedom to manage their curriculum. PE can put this space to great use by possibly introducing desks in order to teach their students about the lifting unit.” Teaching students about the unit before should clear out any confusion that should come from having machines that students haven’t used before,” said Mr. Avila.

According to Principal Ernesto Garcia, construction should start in June and be completed sometime in November. As for the old weight room there is no definite plans for the extra space. Some possibilities that have been suggested was to give the room to ASB or the janitors in order to store more of their equipment. ASB can store their new sports tunnel that was donated by class of 2015 and the janitors can park some of their new Gators that they should be receiving soon..