High school couples be like…

High school couples be like...

Imagine this, you have five minutes left to get to your next second period and you’re blocked by this couple walking very slowly, hand in hand. You try to go ahead of them but they move like snails. You try to cut between them but they are so intertwined, you must trail behind them until you are lucky enough to find an opening.

Fortunately, you manage to get through their trail of tears, but you forgot to pick up your homework assignment, which is in your locker! You quickly run towards your locker and there’s that couple who’s always planted in front of it, making out. Worst of all, they’re groping one another, preventing you from getting your stuff, and you’re seconds away from being late and getting detention. Imagine having to go through this for not just one, but all of your periods. You try to avoid Public Displays of Affection, yet you are a victim of this scene every single day.

As a senior, I have become disturbed by PDA’s. I’m not entirely against them, it’s just that it can be very inappropriate at times. Couples recreate a Romeo and Juliet scenario, acting as if they will only see their lover one last time, leading to endless kissing and hugging. I have to experience the horrible sounds of people slurping each other up like a cup of ramen noodles everyday! I see them touching each other everywhere, and I’m like, “C’mon get a room for Christ’s sake!” The worst part is getting to your locker. I have to travel through a maze of groping, slurping bodies, searching for openings where these couples won’t block you from your destined path. It also becomes very uncomfortable witnessing PDA’s in the halls. There are teachers and students walking by and these couples just continue their slobbering. It becomes like a game of Twister, whichever couple can intertwine the most wins the game!

In the mornings, during passing periods, and even after school I endure these struggles. I understand that there’s the feeling of having to express the passion of love. Love’s a beautiful thing and it must feel amazing when both partners are expressing their intimacy towards one another. I truly get it, I too have a girlfriend but I don’t go slobbering her all over campus. I’m in a wonderful relationship, but too much of a good thing isn’t a good thing. When I catch couples necking every single day, it takes away my happiness towards their relationship. Not only are they making it awkward for their fellow students trying to get to class or their lockers, but they are also setting a bad reputation for themselves.

Like I said before, PDA’s aren’t really a bad thing and the only thing worse than having to maneuver around them is having that awkward eye contact with that guy groping his girl. It’s like when you’re in the restroom and you make eye contact with someone through that crease in the door. It feels weird! All I ask is for couples to show some respect to their fellow Trojans.

As stated in Alisal’s Student Handbook, under Student Responsibilities: Rule # 6 states, “the students have to be courteous to everyone. Students are responsible for the way in which they treat other people.” Yet, students in school must go through the walk of shame everyday. And the part that sucks is that you can’t always avoid it. There appear to be couples hugging, kissing, and worst of all groping at each other’s necks.

There’s a difference when couples go all the way to the back but when they’re excessive in the halls, it  just becomes really awkward. Holding hands and hugging is one thing, but couples need to show more respect when they’re about to go at it. They need to be acting much more appropriate because to some people, it can be very uncomfortable. It all comes back to respect, and there’s a certain way to act in public. Another way to see it is by looking at is a formal event. There have to be changes to seem more professional, more appropriate.

My overall intent is to open all the lovers’ eyes out there. I want you to notice your actions and think about others. It would be very respectful if there was control for your urge to make out with your partner. Not only would I be grateful, but others would be thankful as well. It could avoid those weird situations and you could also help others get through their day much easier.