Manzano and Macalisang are Top Trojans

Most high school students have the notion that high school is the time to become popular, go to parties, impress their peers, and to try to fit in. But a few students are able to be social and get top grades. The valedictorian and salutatorian, Cean Manzano and Angelica Macalisang, know what it is to work hard, sacrificing their free time and staying up late at night to maintain outstanding grades.

This year, the race for valedictorian was unique because it was a little more personal. Manzano and Macalisang, who are good friends, were competing for the number one spot, but neither of them allowed their competitive nature to ruin their friendship. Coming into this year Macalisang was the valedictorian, but Manzano came up and took the number one spot.

Macalisang finished this year with a 4.19 GPA while Manzano had a 4.23 GPA, only a .04 differential. Their GPA is a reflection of their hard work and rigorous dedication to school. Both of them took part in exceptional classes like AP Physics, AP Statistics and even went a little further and held cabinet positions in many clubs such as CSF and The Library Guild. Many teachers witnessed their exceptional efforts. English teacher Mick Battaglini said, “Cean was a solid student, he functioned at a high level but there was never a sense that he was killing himself and Angelica was very driven, a high achiever and produced high quality work.” Similarly, freshman English teacher Jane Albano saw the special qualities in both as freshmen. “Cean would always work hard and never give up, he would always reach his goal so it wasn’t a surprise to me that he ended up being the top student in his class. Angelica was a standout academically, she was chosen as a Top 5 student from House E and taken to dinner at Monterey.”

Coming into high school Manzano had one objective – to become the valedictorian. Ever since grade school, he remembers his parents pushing him extra hard to succeed in school. “In second grade, my dad had me memorize the toughest times tables so when I got to that level it was already second nature.” Manzano recognized his parents’ hard work, and decided that the least he could do was repay them by being the top student in his class. His dad took on two jobs to support his family and would hardly sleep. Given the fact that he was enrolled in G.A.T.E freshman and sophomore year he rarely stressed over the work. Once he got into it, it was a breeze but junior and senior year posed a threat to his title. Manzano realized that Ashby and Battaglini wouldn’t just simply give him an A, he actually had to think critically and put in  the extra effort. “The first two years were easy because it was just going through what everyone else was doing. There was no mainstream, no AP, everyone was doing the same thing. It wasn’t until I was choosing my Junior classes did I know that the next two years will decide the ‘boys from the men’ as they say. You couldn’t be at the top by taking mainstream classes. It became a ‘how bad do you want it’ question. How far are you willing to go, how much are you willing to kill yourself with long nights, always being pushed to your limits.”

During his junior year, Manzano discovered that he was third in the race for valedictorian and his parents weren’t too satisfied with him being third so they gave him a year to be at the top.  “They put a lot a of pressure. It was good and bad because I stressed over it way too much but it was good because it drove me to want that as my goal.” He realized that if he slipped even the slightest bit he would fall behind. One day after many weeks of constant questioning, he announced to his parents that he was valedictorian. “The final week was probably the most stressful thing I had been through my entire highschool career, and that says a lot.” His mom was so excited she even woke his dad up who was sleeping in between two jobs to inform him of their son’s accomplishment. Manzano felt very proud that he could make his parents happy and this was his way of proving to his parents that their hard work was paying off. “My parents gave so much to see me succeed and when I finally reached the top spot, It was a great feeling. I felt really proud that I got to give them that feeling.” When he let them know about his accomplishment at home the house exploded. Soon even his family from the Philippines were congratulating him, and even people he didn’t even know were also praising him.

Macalisang never thought of any of these accomplishments, coming into high school she considered herself an average student. Her freshman softball coach, Joe Marinello, saw her name outside the library on the Top 100 list and congratulated her for being recognized. Unsure about what it meant, she went to ask Albano about it. Macalisang was shocked and didn’t even tell her parents about the accomplishment, she just told her parents to “dress nicely for an award ceremony.” She felt really happy and liked the feeling she felt for being recognized so she put it on herself to stay on top of her classes and not fall off. “I wanted to surprise them the night of the Top 100 dinner. My parents were really happy at my award so after that I wanted to stay on top of everything for them.” She knew coming into high school would be challenging, but it worked out for her and she’s happy that the outcome of her academic efforts because she did not plan for this. She recalls, “My parents never really sat me down to do homework they just told me to try my best in school, so I kind of did everything on my own terms.”

Now with the final days approaching,they both reflected on their high school experience. Macalisang has positive memories working with her friends on school related things. As a freshman she wouldn’t have thought that she would develop such supportive friendships. And although there were some downs she got through them with her friends and teachers. She especially enjoyed the yearbook class, “It was the best class for me, I liked attending many events, working with friends, and the freedom Mr. Battaglini gave us.” During her graduation speech, Macalisang wants to give the message that even under circumstances where you felt lost and discouraged it’s not the end, everything would work out and fall into place. She is happy that things she wished would have happened didn’t happen. Macalisang is really happy where life has led her. “I’m not surprised there are hard times, but what came out of what I did really surprised me because I didn’t plan for it, but it worked out.”

As for Manzano he wants to shine the light on those who don’t really get recognized as much as they deserve. He said, “The students here are really smart in their own way everyone has something to offer and that’s why everyone is unique. I don’t want the people doing gray things under the table to get discouraged because they didn’t get recognized.”  Manzano has met some amazing people through his four years at Alisal and he believes the reason why he’s had some trouble with his speech is because he doesn’t know how to thank them for interacting with him and helping him succeed.

Manzano spent his time trying to find his purpose, and use that as motivation to succeed. He realized that all his hard work wasn’t only for his benefit but he was doing it for his family as well. He had a decision to make, stay close to home and study or go off to a prestigious school and graduate with an enormous debt. He knew he wanted to stay close to home and help around the house so he decided to attend CSU Monterey Bay.  “I kept my options close, I wanted to leave college with a manageable debt, and realize that I learn more efficiently in smaller classrooms, I need to be hands on with the teacher to actually succeed.” He will be going into the computer science field, “I’m more of a computer and numbers guy than anything. I have, however, began thinking about the design field as well. The guy I was working with for the Senior Sweaters offered me a job in design and marketing. Maybe it’s because I got an offer in that field that I’ve begun to consider it.” But his goals don’t end there, Alisal has made such a big impact on him that he has thought about coming back to the community and teaching. “It’s made me want to give back to the community directly. Probably in the math department, but that’s because that’s what I’m best at. I remember kids coming up to me asking for help on a problem because they didn’t get it with a teacher, but then they’d get it with me. Then they’d say ‘I like it better the way you teach it.’”

Macalisang will be attending Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. “ For as long as I could remember I’ve always wanted to be a veterinarian therefore I will be studying animal science at Cal Poly.” Since she was already accepted under the major she’s always wanted since pre-school, she chose to go there instead of UC Davis, where she was undeclared. Macalisang really valued her parents opinion on what school she should attend and was really content that both her parents liked the city and school. She believes the best way to learn is through hands on training, so Cal Poly suits her best since their motto is “Learn by doing.”

Both Manzano and Macalisang have conquered academics in high school and now as they continue to extend their education they hope to keep on balancing their social life and academic life and strive to the top once more.