The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Review: Anyone But You

Anyone but you, is an American romantic comedy released on December 22, 2023. It was directed by Will Gluck, who co-wrote the screenplay with Ilana Wolpert. It stars Sydney Sweeney who plays Bea and Glen Powell starring as Ben. 

The movie focuses on Bea and Ben. Their first first date was not the best because Bea ended up ditching Ben in his apartment and broke contact. Six months later they found themselves at Bea´s sister’s wedding. Despite disliking each other, they pretended to be in love. They later realized that they had feelings for each other and gave each other a second chance in love. 

Anyone But You Follows the traditional rom-com enemies to lovers format that most people expect. Like when Bea and Bea knew they loved each other, but continued to act like they hated each other. 

This movie captured the funny and romantic moments that many people enjoy watching. For example, when Bea accidentally fell off the boat when re-enacting  the Rose and Jack Titanic scene and Ben jumped off the boat to save her, but they both ended up getting rescued because the boat left them. 

I was very excited to see this film and had high expectations because I heard all my friends and family tell me how good the movie was. I really like the way the characters had a connection because they always found a way to be in each other’s life no matter the situation. 

I enjoyed how we got some taste of romance and many hilarious moments throughout the whole movie. Before the wedding day Bea and Ben spend a lot of time together doing tourist activities with their families. When they went on a hike Bea and Ben tried to show everyone how much they were in love with each other but they ended up making  fools of themselves because there was an animal in Ben’s pants. He panicked because they thought that he had more animals in his pants and they ended up sharing clothes because Ben threw his clothes down the mountain. 

The type of music they added made the movie feel more enjoyable overall. Throughout the film I heard many of their soundtracks which were really good but ¨Unwritten¨ by Natasha Bedingfield was definitely one of my favorite ones. It made the scenes more funny, which I like because it gives a good spark from their chemistry and makes people be more interested in watching it. It embraces people’s happiness and gives people more hope in love. 

I also liked the actress Sydney Sweeney who plays Bea because she’s an actress from my generation and it feels good to see her play a different role. I honestly think that the character actually goes with her and she did a great job with her role. 

A suggestion that could improve the movie is to be a little more romantic and less of comedy because it seems like it has more funny than romantic moments throughout the whole movie but overall it was great. A rom-com that I really like and that fulfills my expectations is To all the boys I’ve loved before because it shows an equal amount of comedy and romance throughout the whole movie. 

Although the movie followed the typical rom-com formula, I would definitely recommend it. It had a good cast with good chemistry, and it definitely fulfilled my expectations. I would rate it a 8/10.