The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Softball preview

Team has eyes on league title
Yesenia Salinas
Against the Trailblazers, senior Jordan Smith gets a hit contributing to the 13-3win. The team is currently 6-0 in league. “The goal for the rest of the season is to keep winning and eventually win league,” Smith said. “After winning league we plan on going as far as possible in the playoffs.”

Last year the softball team finished in 3rd place in the Cypress Division of the PCAL and they did not qualify for the playoffs. “We were really close, probably a game or so within going, but eventually Monte Vista Christian won our league,” new coach Sunil Smith said. “The team was mildly hit by graduation, we lost a good catcher, Maya Gomez.”  

While Smith is new to the softball program, he is not new to the school, having taught here for 17 years and coached football for 12.  He is coaching his two daughters this year – Jordan and Micah. “It feels good to have my dad coaching me again,” Jordan Smith said. “Especially since it’s my last year before going off to college it reminds me of when he used to coach me when I was little so it’s good to have him coaching me one last time.” 

Smith and the team have a clear goal: “Win league, the girls have said that’s something that they want to do, that’s something I feel we really can do,” Coach Smith said.  “I think we’ll win the league and make the playoffs.”

There are 10 returners – seniors Jordan Smith, Samantha Ortiz, and Izabelle Ramirez; juniors Jasmine Estrada, Carmelina Esquivias, Jazmine Rubio, Isabella Gonzalez, Chloe Henry; and sophomores Mianicole Frias, and Madison Mendoza. Smith is very confident about the returners. “Jasmine Estrada who’s a great pitcher and strong leader who can play multiple positions,” he said. “Another one we’re excited to have back is Jordan Smith, after she missed last year due to a shoulder injury.” The newcomers include 4 freshmen – Nevaeh Lopez, Micah Smith, Aaliyah Ruiz, and Leana Sanchez. “Everyone’s nice and welcoming, it’s a good feeling being a freshman on varsity,” Nevaeh Lopez said.

Coach Smith sees his team’s strengths to be the experience this year, “It helps to have a lot of girls who have the experience from playing travel ball,” Smith said. “A lot of them are really athletic so they can play multiple positions, we can move people around a little more this year.” 

The team went 4-1 in preseason and through the first five league games were 6-0.  “We’re improving every single game, we have a good team this year, a really good team,” Jordan Smith said. 

So far Coach Smith sees the team to be well put together, “They look good, they look sharp, I’m excited to coach them and they’re excited to be here I can tell,” he said. “Everybody showing up everyday with a great attitude and positive mindset.”  Jordan Smith remains positive about the games, “We’re improving every single game, we have a good team this year, a really good team,” she said.