The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Swim team has bittersweet season

Boys won league, but team is losing their coach
Diego Medrano
At the PCAL finals, junior Diego Botello finished 1st with a time of 1.20.04.

After the boys’ swim team placed 3rd last year and the girls team placed 4th, both teams were hoping to improve over the season. 

The teams did not disappoint, as their hard work continued to pay off, with major improvements, both as a team and individually. 

However, this season was bittersweet as head coach Kristi Hussain was coaching her 8th and final season. Safe to say, Hussain was very pleased with the outcome of the team. “I expected the season to run smoothly and the kids to improve and have fun,” Hussain said. “All of that occurred!” 

The boy’s season this year was definitely one for the books. Going undefeated, they won league championships at the PCAL championships in the Cypress division. 

Some notable swimmers were brothers Alexander (senior) and Diego (junior) Botello, who not only contributed greatly to the success of the team, but were also a huge part in creating the encouraging environment at every meet. “I feel proud because it was a great way to end the season and my senior year with an undefeated record and a 1st place championship title,” Alexander Botello said. “I’m proud of everyone on the team and their hard work and dedication. I know that in the next year and all the years to come, great experiences and moments will happen for the team.”

The girl’s season this year was filled with improvement as well and finished with a record of 3-2. They placed 5th at championships. Juniors Ariana Acevedo and Yahaira Parra were both outstanding swimmers who constantly contributed to the team, according to Coach Hussain. “It’s been an unexpected season, going into this season, I don’t think any of us envisioned the success of it all so this season is definitely one that we’ll treasure and one that the boys will especially treasure.”

Notable swimmers that greatly improved included Ismael Cabrera, Antonio Martinez and Nancy Santiago. With some having little to no experience, they showed great dedication and became valuable assets to the team, according to the coaches. 

Despite the team’s success, the season ended on a bittersweet note, due to Hussain and her husband, Tosh, leaving the program. This has especially hit the returning swimmers. 

“I feel very sad knowing that we won’t have her another year with her and I am very interested to know what next season will be like,” junior Christopher Ojeda said. “I will miss her and her husband, but I will always be grateful for all that I have learned and have experienced with them.”

This is not only hard on her swimmers, but also her assistant coaches. Having worked with them for many years, the team is losing two very significant contributors. “I am very sad to see Coach Kristi leave. She did a great job with the students and mentoring us coaches,” coach Jenness Kelly said. 

The coaching team hopes to continue a similar pattern when it comes to coaching the swimmers next year, when the new head coach is announced by Coach Gil. Coach Fabian Villanueva, also an assistant coach, and prior head coach, is also feeling the loss of coach Kristi. “It’s mixed emotions because she’s basically the one that made me coach swimming, so we created a really good bond,” Villanueva said. “I learned a lot from her from teaching how to swim, from running practices and things that I would’ve wanted to be done when I was a swimmer here.”

However, the hardest role lies on Coach Kristi and her husband who, retiring for familial circumstances, are having to leave their coaching sooner than expected. Having coached swimming for more than 30 years, they are also leaving something they’ve been dedicated to for a long time. “My thoughts on leaving the team and coaching in general are mixed,” Hussain said. “I know it is the right thing to do since my parents are sick, but I have been coaching swimming for the better part of 35 years and the sport has been a huge part of my life.  It will be strange not to be involved with it anymore, but there comes a time in life when we have to let things go.”

The team is hoping to continue their success even with the new changes. With many returning swimmers, the composition and spirit of the team will continue. “Of all the teams and types of swimmers I have coached (college, masters, high school, and age-group club swimming), coaching Alisal is by far one of my favorites and I have learned to look at the sport of swimming differently through the eyes of these students,” Hussain said. “My time here will always hold a special place in my heart.”