The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Boys’ Golf Recap

Team finishes 2nd in league
Samantha Vazquez
In the final match before league finals, the team played at Pacific Grove. Although the team was nervous, they played well and ended up in second place behind York. “Everyone did the best they could and the results were good,” senior Diego Calderon said. “The conditions were kind of tough, but even so we did a good job.”

The golf season ended on a good note with the team finishing in second place behind York. “I think the season ended pretty good,” Diego Calderon said. “My teammates performed better than last year for sure.” 

Coach Patel agreed with Calderon on the fact that the team did well. “I’m very impressed and proud of our players,” Patel said. “Our team scores were some of the lowest we’ve had in over ten years.” The players said their nerves got the best of them during the league finals and unfortunately they didn’t make it to CCS. “Everyone got nervous and it got to me too,” Diego Calderon said. “I did somewhat average because of the nerves, I did good on some holes and bad on others.” 

Patel tried to keep things in perspective. “There are only two teams that normally go to CCS and the top league has such high caliber talent,” he said. “For us, we knew that it was going to be difficult.” 

Despite their finish, the seniors had positive memories of the season. “My favorite part of the season was going out to eat with my teammates and having fun,” Ivan Alonso said. “Patel’s goal was to win but he wanted to make sure that we had fun while doing it,” Sebastian Soto said. “So, after every match he would take us out to eat to different places.” 

As for Diego Calderon, it was the bond he shared with his teammates. “The match at Peakhouse was my favorite,” Calderon said. “We had team breakfast and we sat there and bonded, having fun.” 

The food and and bond wasn’t only their favorite part, it was the different courses that got to play on. “My favorite part would be playing on holes that I don’t regularly play at because it gives me variety,” Oscar Calderon said. 

Goodbyes are always hard, but the seniors will hold on to their memories. “It feels pretty sad that the season ended because I’m not going to be able to play with my teammates again,” Ivan Alonso said. “But, I have the fun moments we had to remember as I leave the team.” 

Diego Calderon said, “It feels good and bad at the same time because I didn’t accomplish everything that I wanted to. It feels good because I had good teammates and a good coach which made it a fun season.” 

Patel expressed the pride he had for his players. “I’m so proud of our players and major props to us this season for holding our own.”