The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

How much awareness do teens have about the Israel-Hamas War

Currently there is a war between Israel and Hamas. Although the war was officially declared after the Palestinian militant group Hamas’ October 7th attack on Israel, the conflict between them has been going on for decades.(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Israel-Palestine_flags.svg User:Justass, CC BY-SA 3.0 , via Wikimedia Commons)

Being informed about what is happening around the world can be beneficial for young people to learn about the real world. It can provide insights on political, historical and social impacts around the world. Nowadays it is easier than ever to learn about conflicts and world problems because of social media, which plays an important role in activism and spreading awareness. 

Currently there is a war between Israel and Hamas. Although the war was officially declared after the Palestinian militant group Hamas’ October 7th attack on Israel, the conflict between them has been going on for decades. Hamas’ surprise attack caused around 5,400 injuries with around 1,200 deaths. In response to this attack, Israel bombed the Gaza Strip leaving thousands of Palestinians dead or injured. Palestinians now have to flee to safer regions in order to escape death.

The conflict between Israel and Palestine dates back to 1948 with the establishment of the state of Israel. Israel and Palestine have been fighting over the territory between the Jordan River and Mediterranean Sea with both claiming it as theirs. 

This war has impacted both Israelis and Palestinians. However, Palestinians have taken the most damage with around 34,000 deaths, a majority being women and children. Palestine has received huge international support with people donating food and necessities to Palestinians as well as protesting for a ceasefire. 

Israel has also been supported by companies for example fast food chains like Burger King and McDonald’s who have given free meals and drinks to Israeli militants. With this support however, boycotts have taken place. People who empathize with what Palestinians are going through have taken action and refused to buy from companies who have even the slightest connection to Israel.

In a survey of 339 students, 63% are aware of the Israel-Hamas war. Among those students, 47% heard about the war through social media, 15% through the news or someone else, while the remaining 35% have not heard about it at all. 

The majority of students who answered the survey do not know what can be done to resolve the war. However there are a handful of students who have their opinions on how to resolve it.

The U.S being in support of Israel is outrageous,” senior Maritza Ramirez wrote. “The fact that the US didn’t call for a ceasefire to help Gaza was so inhumane especially because it’s a literal genocide happening and many people are aware of it but choose to ignore it. Since not much is being done from the U.S, the least we can do is boycott companies that support Israel, some of the big ones being Starbucks and McDonald’s.” 

Another passionate student urged people to take action and help. As for what should be done, we should ask around for donations and/or spread the word because the borders of Egypt are no longer going to let Palestinians get out of Rafa by less than next week (Israel is going to attack/bomb ALL land of Rafa),”  freshman Ayleen Rojas said. “An online organization called Operative Olive Branch has an entire list of families stuck in Rafa who are desperate to get out and start a new life and help out their relatives with sick conditions with proper medical treatment.”

But not every student’s opinions are the same. I believe that as of now we can only continue to support Israel in their needs, clothing, food, money, supplies, etc, while farther looking into the situation to continue expanding our knowledge on the topic,” senior Luz Jasso said.

“I say Israel takes out all the leaders of Hamas and try to get more intel before air striking. I have zero tolerance for terrorists and they need to be eliminated at all costs,” sophomore Omar Ortiz said.

Another issue regarding Palestine is the University protests all across the country. Recently the University of Southern California had announced Asna Tabassum as the school’s Valedictorian. This caused an uproar in the Jewish community because of Tabassum’s social media, which includes links to pro-Palestine websites. This led to the cancellation of Tabassum’s speech. Pro-Palestinian activists took to the school to protest and demand they let Tabassum speak. This sparked the start of pro-Palestinian school protests and encampments which have been held on college campuses across the country in support of Palestine. 

Personally, I believe Palestine should get more aid and support. The US needs to stop funding the genocide of Palestinians. It’s undeniable that both Israel and Palestine have dealt with their own struggles due to the war, however Israel continuously attacking and murdering innocent people is wrong and inhumane. 

Innocent people are being starved, killed, and forced to live in cruel and unlivable conditions. Whether it’s donating, spreading the word or boycotting, something should be done to help Palestine. People who are not aware of this issue need to educate themselves and learn to have empathy. 

View Comments (2)
Donate to Trojan Tribune
$365
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Alisal High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.