The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Boys’ Tennis Preview

Team working toward postseason
Anthony Rojas
Senior Francisco Estrada hits a forehand in his doubles match against Gonzales on March 19th, 2024.

Ahead of the new season, 2nd year Coach Isaac Santa Cruz had big expectations in his team. “Our goal is to give it all and our goal is not only just to win the league, but to make it to CCS and make a run, and our motto is to be aggressive through it all,” he said. 

This year’s team consists of seniors Francisco Estrada and Isaiah Jacinto; juniors Alexander Rodriguez, Angelo Rodriguez, and Jovany Serna; and sophomores Kayden Posecion, Kevin Garcia, Gustavo Tapia. “I learn a lot from the coach, but mostly from my teammates,” Estrada said. “They guide me the right way, tell me what’s right or wrong, and that’s how it makes me better,” first year player, and senior, Francisco Estrada said.

This year the season started later than last year. The team’s first match was on March 19th, against Gonzales. They played their hardest, but they ended up losing, 0-7. 

Though not the best way to start the season, it was only the first match and everyone had the mindset to improve. “We have to improve our footwork, moving, and communicating with our teammates,” Alex Rodriguez said. “I can improve receiving the ball quicker, and being more aggressive,” Joseph Aguilar said. “We have to improve on certain keys like our serving, receiving, and I think we’ll be good,” Isaiah Jacinto said. 

Among the 7 sets against Gonzales, two of them had to be concluded with tiebreakers, and everyone still gave it their all. The season is still beginning and the coach’s confidence and expectations haven’t changed. “That loss against the number one team set up the tone for us, we’re not the best, and that we still have a lot to work on,” Santa Cruz said. 

Through five matches, the team is 2-3.