The student news site of Alisal High School

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Trojan Tribune

Time to learn? Use TikTok

App is more than just dance videos
Eat up! The delicious cheesy pasta I made for my family thanks to @Amy Doe Cooking and her amazing recipe on her TikTok page.

TikTok is the app we all love, the app we spend the majority of our day endlessly on, and addictingly scrolling for hours and hours.  

The app varies in hundreds of topics and categories. It’s a place for comedy, fun, creativity, and inspiration. Not only that, it has also created a community of creators that create content for the world and community to enjoy. 

Besides being an app for fun, where the majority of the time users see and learn more about memes, sports, beauty, fitness, etc. on their For You Page, many ignore the fact that there are creators who create intellectual content that people can use in school or their daily life to make their life a little easier. As a constant user of TikTok, I have used the app for other things other than how to perfect my skincare or to get inspiration from other people’s outfits of the day. 

This past summer I learned how to cook full-on meals. Thanks to creators like @Jennymartinezzz, and @Amy Doe Cooking  who share their knowledge, I learned how to make delicious pasta, with buttered-up garlic bread, and a freshly made lemonade. Not only did I leave my family very satisfied and impressed, but I left myself impressed as well which made me wonder “What else can I make?” 

Not only that, TikTok has also helped me with school. Last school year it helped me a handful of times in my Art and English classes. I came across a video where I learned how to make a jewelry tray out of clay. It was a coincidence that in my dimensional art class, we were working with clay and I was in the process of brainstorming ideas for my last project of the year until I came across the perfect idea! Thanks to that video I successfully created the art piece and passed my art class. 

It also helped me feel secure and prepared for my English exam. Thanks to Coach Hall, I gathered tips and test strategies to pass my test and have the best possible outcome.

Although TikTok is a very entertaining and fun app, there is one problem – time management. All the scrolling and watching takes a lot of time before  you know it, you have been on your phone for hours. 

This happens to everyone and has definitely happened to me. The other night, I was supposed to finish my take-home test for my government class and instead I spent two hours on TikTok! In the end, I didn’t get to it because I was so caught up on my phone. So I made a rule to develop self-discipline, no TikTok during school to avoid getting distracted and falling behind, and also no TikTok until I have finished all my responsibilities! This works best for me since I have a short attention span and have the urge to always start scrolling. Balance is important.

Besides the negative aspects of the app, TikTok is mostly fun and exciting and especially easy to use. It has something for everyone, which is why people love the app so much. Users can build their account based on what they are interested in just by going to the search bar and asking questions, searching hashtags or songs, and most likely TikTok has what they are looking for and need. It did for me!